- Carol Michaels
I always tell my fitness family to keep moving. That refers to physical activity. But I keep moving to different residential and work locations! I have moved in NJ from Short Hills to West Orange and in Florida from Palm Beach to Palm Beach Gardens and last week to Boca all in a relatively short time frame. With all of our moving, I am so fortunate to be able to work with everyone virtually. Thank you for allowing me to help you achieve your health and fitness goals.
Virtual training on zoom continues to be very popular. It is a convenient and effective way to improve your fitness level in the comfort of your home. We use inexpensive equipment which you can purchase on- line or at a sporting goods or discount store and you only need a small space to exercise in. I do not post the class schedule on my website, so it is necessary to contact me for the most current schedule.
This is a good time to reflect on the past year. Taking care of yourself means that you are able to take care of others and is not an act of selfishness. Creating a self-care plan is an excellent way to take charge of your health and encourage family members to do the same. Try to add self-care activities to your calendar.
Consider the following self-care/wellness categories:
▪ Social wellness - join an activity or group with a mission that resonates with you. Meet new people and explore options for those people you might want to spend more time with.
▪ Emotional wellness- include recreation and leisure time such as listening to music, eating your favorite food, enjoying a scenic view, and connecting to nature.
▪ Intellectual wellness- examples include reading, playing a musical instrument, learning a new skill or new language.
▪ Physical wellness- can include bike riding, jumping rope, sports, running, walking, jogging, dancing, gardening and improving eating habits.
▪ Spiritual wellness-examples include communing with nature, volunteering, self-reflection, and meditation.
▪ Occupational wellness -try to find enjoyable work that gives you purpose. When that is not possible, balance work with personal activities that are enjoyable. Strive for work life balance.
Notice how you feel throughout the day and make a list of activities that you no longer want to do and replace those activities with something that energizes you and brings you joy.